Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Valentines box pattern

I purchased a couple of Valentines chocolate boxes not 100% sure how I was going to use them.  After some searching around, and playing around of my own, I came up with an idea to make them into pattern boxes.  Using PowerPoint I created a model of the heart shapes and the holes inside.  Then I added red, pink and white dots in different arrangements.  The children could use the heart diagrams as a model in directing them where to put what color of pom poms.  (That sounds complex... but it was pretty simple... do you understand?)

Here is an example of a blank one...

Then an example of one filled in correctly following the diagram.


It took each child a little bit of time and some scaffolding to figure the concept out - but once they did they loved following the model to figure out the pattern.  Several kids did each diagram several different times.



They loved it so much I kept it out the rest of the week in another location for them to stop by when ever they wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment